Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Bias Against Science

I'm reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan which I really like so far, but something popped up to me as interesting, and something I've seen several time before. What I'm referring to is a bias against science.

The quote
"Science has much of value to teach us about food, and perhaps someday scientists will 'solve' the problem of diet, creating the nutritionally optimal meal in a pill, but for now and the foreseeable future, letting the scientists decide the menu would be a mistake. They simply do not know enough."


It's true they don't know enough, which is why I rarely listen to what I read about food, and try to use common sense. But apparently scientists solving the issue of food, would mean the invention of a pill that fulfills all of our dietary needs. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds pretty horrible, and would create a lot of problems. There is a strong bias against science in American culture, assuming that "Science" means weird nerds in lab coats inventing synthesized materials and man made nutrients in an attempt to replace nature's creations. That has nothing to do with "doing" science, but rather manipulating it. Science is the study, and understanding of nature. I study physics because I love nature, and because I want to appreciate it with all its nuances and subtleties. When I have a permanent residence I would love to have my own garden where I grow at least a good portion of my food on my own. That sounds like a really cool thing to do. How those plants would grow is dependent upon chemistry and biology. There is science involved in picking a good spot of land, picking how much sunlight the plants need, how much water they need etc. The practice of doing that is called farming, but science explains why those decisions actually work.

No comments: